Hi. My name is Tami. I am the author of this blog. You can contact me by posting a comment or emailing me at readaton@gmail.com. I am also happy to add you as a friend at www.goodreads.com where I keep track of everything I am reading.

I LOVE to read. I am pursuing my master's degree in library and information science at San Jose State University. Right now I mostly use this blog for class assignments.

No matter your reading tastes you will find books for you here. Enjoy!

Saturday, June 11, 2011

I Am Number Four

I Am Number Four

Movie
Directed by D.J. Caruso
Disney, 2011
ASIN B004Z2TUGE

3 (out of 5) STARS

Plot Summary

Extraordinary teen John Smith (Pettyfer) is a fugitive on the run from ruthless enemies sent to destroy him. Changing his identity, moving from town to town with his guardian Henri (Olyphant), John is always the new kid with no ties to his past. In the small Ohio town he now calls home, John encounters unexpected, life-changing events-his first love (Agron), powerful new abilities and a connection to the others who share his incredible destiny.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1464540/plotsummary

Critical Evaluation

I am guessing that the book was better than the movie. Although I did enjoy the movie. Some parts of the movie were a bit confusing and seemed to not flow smoothly. But I believe that is a common problem when taking a 440 page book and converting it into a movie. This movie had action, interesting characters, and a bit of romance. It was nicely done and a great teen flick.

Reader’s Annotation

A young man with great powers from another planet is next in line to be killed.

Information about the director

Date of Birth: January 17, 1965

A graduate of Pepperdine University with a B.A. in film and television, Caruso started working in film as an associate producer for a number of John Badham films such as Point of No Return (1993), Another Stakeout(1993), Drop Zone (1994) and Nick of Time (1995). After working as a director on the television series VR.5, Caruso directed a short film entitledCyclops, Baby (1997) that was featured at various film festivals.

In 1997, Caruso was the executive producer on the critically acclaimed telefilm Rebound, which was nominated for an Image Award. Later that same year, he directed four episodes of the ABC/Dreamworks television series High Incident for executive producer Steven Spielberg.

Caruso spent several years working on the small screen, directing episodes of Martial Law, The Strip, Dark Angel, Smallville and The Shield.

He returned to the big screen with his first feature film director's credit inThe Salton Sea (2002) starring Val Kilmer, followed by Taking Lives (2004) starring Angelina Jolie, Disturbia (2007) and Eagle Eye (2008), both starring Shia LaBeouf. His most recent film, the thriller I Am Number Four(2011), stars British actor Alex Pettyfer.

Caruso and his wife, Holly, have four children.

http://www.tribute.ca/people/dj-caruso/7448/

Genre

science fiction

Curriculum Ties

N/A

Booktalking Ideas

N/A

Reading Level

PG-13

Challenge Issues

some violence and swearing.

It is best to be prepared for a book challenge before it is challenged. It is important to read the book all the way through and to have read both positive and negative reviews of the book from professionals and teens as well. Be aware of the library’s collection policy. Also check for any awards the book may have won. It would be beneficial to see how other library’s may have handled challenges for this particular book in the past.

*Above information also applies to movies.

Why Included?

My daughter read the book a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I thought the movie looked like a great teen action/science fiction movie. I hope to read the book soon.

No comments: