Hi. My name is Tami. I am the author of this blog. You can contact me by posting a comment or emailing me at readaton@gmail.com. I am also happy to add you as a friend at www.goodreads.com where I keep track of everything I am reading.

I LOVE to read. I am pursuing my master's degree in library and information science at San Jose State University. Right now I mostly use this blog for class assignments.

No matter your reading tastes you will find books for you here. Enjoy!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

J-14

J-14 Magazine

July 2011.

Plot Summary

J-14 is a monthly teenage magazine marketed at girls in their early teens and younger. It is published by Bauer Publishing, the United States division of the German firm Bauer Verlagsgruppe. The contents of these magazines include features like teen gossip, quizzes, fashion, posters, and information on celebrities that pertain to the readers. The first issue was released in January 2001. The name of the publication is a sound-alike abbreviation of its tagline "Just For Teens". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-14_(magazine)

Critical Evaluation

Personally, not my favorite. However, I believe it has a place in a YA collection. There are many teens who love to follow the celebrities and this is the magazine to do just that. I thought the magazine was very busy and a bit confusing. I think the cover indicates that as well. The cover is very busy and bright and the inside of the magazine looks just the same. I feel that these magazines often sexualize girls way to young. Also some of the advice I don't think is realistic or healthy advice.

Reader’s Annotation

N/A

Information about the editor

Rachel Chang is currently the editor-in-chief at J-14 Magazine, the top-selling teen magazine on newsstands published by Bauer Publishing. Prior to this, she was the entertainment editor at CosmoGirl Magazine, entertainment editor at J-14, and associate editor at Popstar! Magazine. She’s also written for Alternative Press, Glamour, Audrey, USOpen.org, and Clear Channel Online Music & Radio, as well as interned at In Style, YM, and the Daily Record. Rachel began her career in entertainment while she was an undergraduate at UCLA, interning at Nickelodeon, the Dawson’s Creek writers’ office, Buena Vista Pictures, Comcast, and The WB Television Network — and worked at The WB in photo publicity during its pop culture reign before heading to the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University, where she earned her masters in Magazine, Newspaper, and Online Journalism.

http://www.bauerpublishing.com/teen-group/j-14/editor-bio/

Genre

magazine

Curriculum Ties

N/A

Booktalking Ideas

N/A

Reading Level

age 12 and up

Challenge Issues

There is quite a bit that a parent could object to.

It is best to be prepared for a book challenge before it is challenged. It is important to read the book all the way through and to have read both positive and negative reviews of the book from professionals and teens as well. Be aware of the library’s collection policy. Also check for any awards the book may have won. It would be beneficial to see how other library’s may have handled challenges for this particular book in the past.

*Above information applies to magazines as well.

I think it would be/will be more difficult to defend materials that I personally do not like or care for. However, it is still important to keep it on the shelf.

Why Included?

This magazine circulates well and the copies always look very well loved. I thought it would be a good addition to the YA collection.

No comments: