Hi. My name is Tami. I am the author of this blog. You can contact me by posting a comment or emailing me at readaton@gmail.com. I am also happy to add you as a friend at www.goodreads.com where I keep track of everything I am reading.

I LOVE to read. I am pursuing my master's degree in library and information science at San Jose State University. Right now I mostly use this blog for class assignments.

No matter your reading tastes you will find books for you here. Enjoy!

Monday, April 23, 2012

A Bride's Story

A Bride's Story

by Kaoru Mori
Yen Press, 2011
ISBN 9780316180993
192 pages

3.5 (out of 5) STARS

Plot Summary

Acclaimed creator Kaoru Mori (Emma, Shirley) brings the nineteenth-century Silk Road to lavish life, chronicling the story of Amir Halgal, a young woman from a nomadic tribe betrothed to a twelve-year-old boy eight years her junior. Coping with cultural differences, blossoming feelings for her new husband, and expectations from both her adoptive and birth families, Amir strives to find her role as she settles into a new life and a new home in a society quick to define that role for her.  (www.goodreads.com)

Evaluation

The Bride’s Story takes place during the nineteenth-century Silk Road time period.  This book is listed on goodreads best Josei Manga list but it is quite different from the other nine manga books that I have read for this assignment.  The main character, Amir, has depth and strength that many of the other Josei manga main characters lack.  There is a nice little love story that all Josei mangas seem to have.      

It is beautifully illustrated.  Although it is in black and white the design of the period costume and the lavish house decorations are detailed and interesting.  The above picture is depicted amazing wood cravings that the elderly man created.  Usually I am somewhat indifferent to color in a graphic novel but this is actually one graphic novel that I would like to see done in color.

Review

Wildsmith, S. (2011). A Bride's Story, v.1. Booklist, 107(19/20), 51.

Another good review can be found here.