Hi. My name is Tami. I am the author of this blog. You can contact me by posting a comment or emailing me at readaton@gmail.com. I am also happy to add you as a friend at www.goodreads.com where I keep track of everything I am reading.

I LOVE to read. I am pursuing my master's degree in library and information science at San Jose State University. Right now I mostly use this blog for class assignments.

No matter your reading tastes you will find books for you here. Enjoy!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Rasetsu

Rasetsu

by Chika Shiomi
Viz Media, 2009
ISBN 9781421527505
192 pages

3 (out of 5) STARS

Plot Summary

Rasetsu Hyuga works for an exorcist agency where she uses her special powers to banish evil spirits. There's a story behind the red flower mark on her chest though — it's a momento left by a powerful spirit who vowed to claim her on her 20th birthday. Unless Rasetsu can find true love by then, she is fated to become his.

Yako Hoshino, a young man with spiritual powers of his own, comes to the agency seeking help with a possessed book. He's seen a lot of strange phenomena in his day, but the last thing he expects to see is Rasetsu bearing a striking resemblance to his old love Yurura! (www.goodreads.com)

Evaluation

This manga is a bit different from the other Josei mangas I have read thus far, in that the main characters work for an exorcist agency.  The majority of the Josei mangas I have read have been set in school settings.  This book brought a pleasant change of scene.  Although the main characters are ghost chasers, the actual focus of the book is more on the life of Rasetsu and the possible romance which I am guessing will be expounded upon the sequels.  So the actual focus is more in line with Josei manga.  This book does have a nice twist where a ghost has claimed Rasetsu for his own if she does not find her true love by age twenty.    

The artwork is typical manga artwork which I find to be very pleasing.  It is done in black and white.  When the characters are working with the ghosts the artwork is darker with more gray shading.    

Overall, I enjoyed this book though I do not believe is has any characteristics that make it stand out any more than an average manga book.  I am not terribly interested in pursuing the remaining sequels, though I imagine other Josei manga fans would be intrigued by the unusual setting and the ghost lover.

Reviews

AnimeNewsNetwork and Graphic Novel Reporter both have reviews of Rasetsu, vol 1.

No comments: