Hi. My name is Tami. I am the author of this blog. You can contact me by posting a comment or emailing me at readaton@gmail.com. I am also happy to add you as a friend at www.goodreads.com where I keep track of everything I am reading.

I LOVE to read. I am pursuing my master's degree in library and information science at San Jose State University. Right now I mostly use this blog for class assignments.

No matter your reading tastes you will find books for you here. Enjoy!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Book discussion questions to The Last Good Man

Book Discussion Group
The Last Good Man by Kathleen Eagle

1. In Genreflecting, Herald says that author Kathleen Eagle is known for her strong female characters. Do the characters in this book fit that description? Who was your favorite character and why? What did you think of Savannah as a character? Was she likable?

ANSWER: There were four main female characters – Savannah, Claudia, Billie (Savannah’s aunt), Clay’s mother. I thought all four of these women were strong characters. Savannah was going through a rough time during the book but she was still strong and overcame her fear and her cancer. I liked Savannah.

2. Though the story focuses on Savannah, did you think Clay was the real star of the book? The title, The Last Good Man, is clearly a reference to Clay. Capable, patient, sexy, loyal to a fault--he truly fits the title role. But did you find Clay to be a believable character? What--if any--flaws or weaknesses did he have?

ANSWER: Even though the title is named after Clay, I still think the book is about Savannah. Savannah is the one who changes over the course of the book. Clay stays mostly the same. Many parts of Clay I found to be believable. He seemed consistent in his desire to help the underdog. He takes care of everyone else before himself. There are people like that, though I am not convinced it is always a strength. Sometimes I think it leads to people like Clay getting taken advantage of. I did find it annoying that he was impatient with Savannah near the end of the book. They had an agreement when they got married and then he got annoyed when she did what she said she would do. I actually thought his impatience with her was out of character.

3. Was the romance between Clay and Savannah believable? How did it compare to the romantic developments in other novels you've read?

ANSWER: I think the romance development between Clay and Savannah was sweet and tender once they got married. I thought the sex scenes out in the desert at the beginning of the book were unrealistic and random. I do not read very many romance novels but I am guessing the unrealistic sex and romance may be part of the appeal to the romance reader. Pleasure and escape are the goals of this genre, not a portrayal of real life.

4. The Last Good Man deals with some heavy subject material, such as breast cancer. In her afterward, Eagle mentions that she had a family member that went through breast cancer. What did you think of the inclusion of such a serious topic in an otherwise light-hearted, melodrama-free romance novel? How did you react to the scenario of a former lingerie model struggling with breast cancer and reconstructive surgery? Did it make Savannah a more sympathetic character?

ANSWER: I think the inclusion of a serious topic made the book more believable and less fluffy. The seriousness and type of cancer added interest to the book. Life is hard but even more so when it seems the challenge is difficult for that particular person. Like how a lingerie model struggles with breast cancer. And yes, I thought it made Savannah a more sympathetic character. I felt for her pain.

5. How did you like the descriptions of the Western settings? Were they believable? Did you get a sense of place?

ANSWER: I did like the descriptions of the West. I also enjoyed the pictures that were posted on the discussion board. I live in Utah so the setting was not unique or unusual for me. I did find the mix of western genre and romance genre interesting.

No comments: