Hi. My name is Tami. I am the author of this blog. You can contact me by posting a comment or emailing me at readaton@gmail.com. I am also happy to add you as a friend at www.goodreads.com where I keep track of everything I am reading.

I LOVE to read. I am pursuing my master's degree in library and information science at San Jose State University. Right now I mostly use this blog for class assignments.

No matter your reading tastes you will find books for you here. Enjoy!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

BOOKTALK: The Candy Bomber by Michael Tunnell

The Candy bomber: The Story of the Berlin Aircraft’s “Chocolate Bomber”

By Michael Tunnell

It is Berlin, Germany, 1948. WWII is just over. The country of Germany has been divided up between Russia, the United States, Britain and France. But everyone wants to be involved in Berlin, the capital of Germany. But Berlin is located right in the middle of Russia’s piece of Germany. Russia does not want to share. They do not allow anyone to travel to Berlin by water or land. They hope to starve the Berlin people so they will all agree to become Russians.

So the only way into Berlin is by airplane. But winter is coming. The city is hunger and cold. Britain and the United States decide to airlift everything the Berlin people need. “The cargo planes drop out of the sky to land every few minutes, twenty-four hours a day.”

But what about the children? Their country has been at war for years. And now they are being starved by the Russians. Basic food has been hard to find and candy or sweets impossible. One American pilot, Lt. Halvorsen, wanted to provide more for these German children. What could he do? Could he get candy to the children of Berlin?

To learn more about Lt. Halvorsen’s plans read The Candy Bomber.

Written by Tami Austin

No comments: